Here at Creative Network Solutions, we are Preston’s leading IT support and network services experts. From secure remote access services to business VoIP, we are the team you can count on. And this is our guide to everything you should know about network security threats.
What is a network security threat?
A network security threat is something that threatens that safety of your network systems or company data. Different types of cyber attack can present different threats to your network or data, and have different ways of targeting your network system. There are a number of different types of network security threat, and these include:
- External threats from outside individuals
- Internal threats from disgruntled employees. This is more common than you might think with up to 46% of breaches in 2019 involving an insider or third party partner.
- Structured threats by organisations with clear aims and goals in mind and the resources to carry out the malicious activity. State sponsored attacks would fall into this category.
- Unstructured attacks by individuals with no real aim in mind.
What is the importance of identifying network security threats?
Identifying the network security threats relevant to your company or business can be crucial for the safety and security of your company or business. In fact, there are a number of advantages and benefits related to identifying the network threats that could have an impact on your business. These advantages include:
- Developing an effective cyber security plan- by identifying the threats that could target and harm your business security you will have the tools and knowledge to be able to protect your company from such a threat. This might include increasing existing cyber security, training staff to identify the risks most likely to to have a negative impact on your business, and working with a professional security team.
- Making the right policy changes-the type of threats that could have a substantial impact on your business will vary between companies. But once these threats have been identified it can be much easier to make specific changes to company policy such as password protection and system access levels so that your company can stay protected and secure against these particular threats.
How does a threat differ from a vulnerability?
A network security threat is generally an attack on the cyber security of your company or business. A vulnerability is a system flaw or loophole that has the potential to be exploited by cyber criminals, and can allow unauthorized access to your network system or data. Being able to identify network threats also allows you to recognize and make changes to vulnerabilities on your system, although these vulnerabilities often occur from third party sources related to your company, such as server hosts.
For more information or advice about your network security, systems, or disaster recovery, why not get in touch with the experts today, here at Creative Network Solutions.